Rules, Criteria & Submission Requirements
1. Only one nomination will be accepted from each AIChE Student Chapter. In the event that there is more than one qualified member of a student chapter or club, the advisor must select using the criteria below, which member to nominate.
2. Applicants must be AIChE student members at the time of the nomination and undergraduates in Chemical Engineering during the 2013 – 2014 academic year. Nominees must have completed approximately 50% of their degree requirement at the start of the 2012-2013 academic years (i.e. junior standing in chemical engineering in a 4 year program or equivalent for a 5 year co-op program). The chapter advisor may nominate a student who will complete the chemical engineering baccalaureate degree requirements in mid year (i.e. after one semester or one or two quarters), but such nominees, if selected, will receive prorated awards.
3. Nomination must be made by the Student Chapter Advisor.
4. Selection of winners will be based on the following criteria:
* The applicant’s academic record.
* The applicant’s participation in AIChE Student Chapter, and other professional activities as outlined by the Student Chapter advisor in his/her nomination letter.
* The support of the nominee by the Student Chapter Advisor.
* Applicant’s career objectives and plans as outlined in his/her career essay.
5. Cash awards totaling $15,000 will be made for use during the 2013-2014 academic year; individual awards for the full academic year will be $1,000. Awardees will be notified by October 1, 2013.
Instructions for submitting an application
A complete application for the 2013-14 AIChE Donald F. and Mildred Topp Othmer National Scholarship Award will contain a copy of each of the following items (each letter should contain an original signature to be scanned and uploaded). All applications are submitted online.
From the student:
* A completed application form submitted online.
* A statement from the nominee not to exceed 300 words, outlining his/her career plans and objectives in chemical engineering including immediate plans after graduation and long range career objectives.
From the college:
* A letter of recommendation from the AIChE student chapter advisor containing verification of nominee’s GPA and projected completion date as well as an evaluation of the student’s academic performance and participation in AIChE and other professional activities.